Our offer to schools
The activities we can offer to schools include:
- Campus visits and activities which give an insight into HE and a feel for student life;
- Open days at all partner institutions;
- Academic taster days at all partner institutions to provide an opportunity to find out more about particular subject areas;
- Opportunities to attend masterclasses and similar events;
- Talks about various aspects of HE and student life including different routes into HE, finance and funding, applying, writing a personal statement, and welfare and pastoral support;
- Attendance at schools’ options evenings to provide information and answer questions about HE;
- Activities to support particular groups of students, e.g. pupils with special needs and/or disabilities, looked after children, young carers;
- Activities targeted at pupils interested in specific routes into HE; e.g. vocational programmes;
- Activities targeted at encouraging progression into non-traditional routes e.g. women into science and engineering.
We can also arrange bespoke visits or programmes of activity for individual schools on request, which may involve targeting specific year groups or particular groups of pupils.
Contact us to discuss how we can work with your school.
Sessions can be delivered by HE schools' and colleges' outreach teams and by student ambassadors. They can be aimed at various audiences e.g. pupils, parents and carers, teachers and careers guidance staff.
Whilst some activities involve on site visits to our partner universities or colleges, a number of these activities can also be delivered on school sites.
An annual ‘stocktake’ is also available to schools to review their involvement and access to HE outreach. The ‘stocktake’ will review existing outreach activity with your school, and lead to the development of a planned programme of activity which meets your needs.
Using a range of technologies and social media, as well as face-to-face sessions, pupils will develop their own capacity to change by looking at ways in which they can actively improve their local community.
Other activities for schools
In addition to the activities listed above, some schools and students may be able to access other events and activities offered by our partner universities and colleges. Please note that some of these activities have restricted access for reasons of practicality, or because they are specifically designed for targeted group of pupils, e.g. those eligible for free school meals or the pupil premium, or have no experience of HE in the family.
University of York
- Course Taster Events for: Sports Therapy, Media Make-up, Art (Fashion), Business, Computing, Construction/Engineering, Holistic and Spa and Public Services.
York St John University
- Green Apples – opportunities across York based FE and HE partners
- North Yorkshire Higher Education Collaboration project – targeted programme for year 7-11 students in Coastal and Selby schools
- York St John University COMPACT scheme – opportunities for KS5 pupils
- Aiming High Primary School project – targeted activities for KS2 pupils in primary schools
- Summer School – a three day residential for targeted year 10 students in schools across the region